A bagel is a type of bread that has a hard outer shell and a soft, chewy center. The word “bagel” comes from the Yiddish word for ring or bracelet. Toasting a bagel without a toaster might seem like an impossible task but it’s actually not as difficult as you may think! Here are 4 ways to toast your bagel without a toaster.
1. Toast A Bagel In The Microwave
If you’ve had your toaster break, or if it is simply not convenient for you to toast your bagel in the traditional manner, then use this alternative solution. It’s quick and easy and can be done in a matter of minutes!
- Get a microwave-safe plate and place the bagel on it.
- Put the plate in the microwave, with the bagel side facing up so that you’ll have a round, toasted bagel-side down when you remove it from the microwave.
- Microwave your bagel for about 15 seconds on high power, or until they’re as crispy as you like them.
Variations Of Toasting Bagels In The Microwave:
- If you want less heat and slower cooking time, try microwaving your bagel for 20 seconds at 30% power instead of 15 seconds at full power! You can also reheat them twice if necessary to get them nice and crispy before removing them from the plate. For rounded edges without a “bagel look” to them, microwave for at least one minute and fifteen seconds. It will puff up a bit as it cooks, which is what you want. Leaving them in for a few minutes longer won’t hurt at all!
- Try microwaving your bagel on the side, instead of face-down. This way you’ll have a nice flat side where the cream cheese can go without falling off or seeping into the other section.
- Place your bagel in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about ten minutes until they’re done toasting to perfection. This takes more time than using the microwave alone, but it’s still faster than waiting for a traditional toaster oven!
- Try microwaving your bagel both sides at once. It will take a bit longer this way, but the outcome is very similar.
- If you’re toasting bagels in the oven instead of using the microwave, try flipping one side over halfway through cooking so that it bakes evenly on both sides!
- Try microwaving for less time and keeping the bagel in there after it stops cooking – they’ll keep getting crisper as long as they remain in there!
- Finally, if you don’t have a microwave-safe plate, try putting a paper towel down on top of your regular dish before placing your bagel on it and microwaving!
2. Toast A Bagel In An Air Fryer
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into the bottom of your air fryer’s dish.
- Take out your frozen bagel and set it on top of the dish you’ve created using the oil!
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and leave it in until desired crispiness is achieved!
- If you’re thawing a pre-made bagel, follow steps 1 to 3 but set the temperature to 380 degrees instead – just be careful not to burn it!
- Once finished cooking, take out your bagel by carefully grabbing both sides with oven mitts or towels – they may be hot enough to burn if you touch them barehanded! Your great tasting breakfast treat is ready to enjoy!
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer’s dish – this will cause the temperature to drop and it won’t be as fast as cooking one bagel at a time! Try putting only 2-3 bagels in there at once, or even 4 if they’re small ones.
- If you like really crispy bagels, try using tongs to pick them up after they come out of the fryer and “tapping” them on the top and bottom to make them even crispier!
- Finally, try placing an upside down plate over each individual half of the bagel while it bakes for rounded edges that you can put toppings on without worrying about them dripping off the sides!
3. Toast A Bagel On The Stove
- Take out a frying pan and set it to medium heat on the stovetop, then place your bagel inside face-down.
- Using tongs or some other tool that won’t scorch you, touch the back side of your bagel until golden brown – this may take up to ten minutes depending on how crispy you like them!
- Once ready, remove from the pan and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
- If you don’t have a frying pan or would rather not use one, try using a griddle instead! It will give your entire bagel a nice crunchiness without having to flip each half over individually.
- Try placing an upside-down plate over each individual half of the bagel while it cooks for rounded edges that you can put toppings on without worrying about them dripping off the sides!
- Finally, try microwaving your bagel before toasting it on the stovetop to save time – just be careful not to burn!
4. Toast A Bagel In The Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, turn on the broiler in the top of your oven, and place your bagel in there!
- Leave in for 10 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved – you’ll know when it’s ready when it gives off a nice golden brown color!
- Once finished cooking, remove from oven and enjoy with toppings of your choice!
- If you’re looking to toast several bagels at once, try cooking two or three in the oven at once – just make sure that you leave enough room between each bagel for both heat circulation and browning.
- Make sure your knife is super sharp before cutting into your fresh out of the oven bagel! The warmth will soften up its outer skin making it easier to slice through.
Once you’ve completed these four easy ways, your bagel will be good to go! You can top it with anything you desire or eat it plain for a simple snack that tastes great. I hope this article has helped you out in learning how to toast a bagel without a toaster!